Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tasting - The Royal Old Vines Chenin Blanc

Name: The Royal Old Vines Chenin Blanc
Variety: 100% Chenin Blanc
Region: Swartland
Country: South Africa
Year: 2012
Price: $7.95

Winery Review: 
90 Points – Robert Parker
"One of the greatest buys I have tasted this year is this under $10, 100% Chenin Blanc from the Western Cape. A super flowery-scented nose includes notions of ripe honeydew melons and pears. This medium-weight, fresh, fruity, crisp, dry, textbook Chenin Blanc will provide immense pleasure over the next 12 months."

My Review: This wine from South Africa, utilizes 100% Chenin Blanc grapes, which are native to France.  I thought that the nose was refreshing, with the smell of lavender and eucalyptus evident.  I particularly enjoyed the texture of this wine, which I found to be smooth and viscous.  Not particularly overwhelming, this wine was lightly fruity with the taste of peaches and pears apparent.  Great wine for the value!

I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment