Sunday, January 26, 2014

First Blog Assignment - My Experience with Wine

So far in my life, I have had very little experience with wine, mainly because I just recently turned 21 years old.  However, I have attended two wine tastings at the Vintage Cellar and enjoyed them very much.  As a result, I have discovered that I tend to gravitate towards white wines, as opposed to red wines.  Despite this, I walked out of the Vintage Cellar with a bottle of 2009 Casa de Cambres Douro red wine from Portugal.  After two glasses, I had already begun to discover new things about the wine that I didn't realize after a first taste.

Thus far, I have noticed that my palette is quite immature.  I have difficulty differentiating between certain wine tastes or ingredients.  However, I am confident that with more experience I will begin to discover new angles to wine that I never before realized.  As far as tastes that I enjoy, I particularly like cherries, blackberries, apples, and pears.  I enjoy tastes that are sweet and smooth, rather than those that are bitter.

There are many things that I am looking forward to learning about in Geography of Wine.  First of all, I would really enjoy learning about the many different food/wine pairings, particularly cheese/wine pairings.  In addition, I would like to learn more about wines from lesser known regions, such as the Middle East or Asia.  Finally, I think it would be interesting to learn about the wines of Virginia, especially some of the characteristics that make them unique to the Commonwealth.

Overall, I am extremely excited about the upcoming semester in Geography of Wine.  I believe that it will be a fun, educational experience that will help me become more knowledgeable about wine-drinking.  Hopefully, this blog will provide a great medium for me to share my experiences and insights about the world of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment